By Rosenne, S.
This quantity collects papers written by way of Shabtai Rosenne during his uncommon occupation on quite a few themes, basically within the components within which he's most sensible identified for his services: foreign litigation and courts, the legislation of treaties, the legislation of the ocean and kingdom accountability.
Read Online or Download Essays on International Law and Practice PDF
Best foreign & international law books
Written through a former UN leader Prosecutor and a number one overseas legislations professional, this is a miles wanted, brief and available creation to the present debates in foreign humanitarian law. Analyzing the criminal and political underpinnings of foreign judicial associations, it offers the reader with an figuring out of either the old improvement of associations directed in the direction of overseas justice, in addition to an summary of the variations and similarities among such enterprises.
The current research examines the criminal framework for marine clinical learn with a spotlight on learn structures. Oceanographers locate themselves confronted with a posh set of provisions governing their actions not just in waters of overseas jurisdiction. because the riches of the oceans became identified to decision-makers in coastal States, overseas motion has set the path for an ever tighter law of the ocean makes use of.
How do democratic societies preserve the stability among civil rights and safety whereas carrying on with the struggle on worldwide terrorism? This paintings increases this factor and provides one state, Turkey, and its fight to enforce legislation to strive against terrorism and agree to the ecu Union’s civil rights criteria.
Overseas crimes, equivalent to genocide and crimes opposed to humanity, are complicated and hard to end up, so their prosecutions are high priced and time-consuming. thus, foreign tribunals and family our bodies have lately made larger use of responsible pleas, a lot of which were secured via plea bargaining.
- Law and Regulation of Aerodromes
- Conflict Law: The Influence of New Weapons Technology, Human Rights and Emerging Actors
- Sovereignty, the WTO, and Changing Fundamentals of International Law
- Pluralism in International Criminal Law
Extra resources for Essays on International Law and Practice
Article 65, paragraph 2, of the 1946 Rules (and its predecessor), gave the President power, if the Court was not sitting, to ﬁx time limits within which if the intervention was not opposed the intervener could ﬁle a memorial on the merits. This was “without prejudice to the decision of the Court on whether the application should be granted”. The 1978 Rules drop this. 28 Under Articles 88 and 89, relating to discontinuance, the President has the power to make the necessary orders when the Court is not sitting.
130. It has even introduced a special procedure to ensure this. Delimitation and Territorial Questions between Qatar and Bahrain (Jurisdiction and Admissibility) case, ICJ Rep. 1994 112 and 1995 6. And see ‘The Qatar/Bahrain Case: What is a Treaty? A Framework Agreement and the Seising of the Court’, at Essay 22 below. 36 INTERNATIONAL LITIGATION AND COURTS perhaps a ripple do not seriously affect their mutual relations and are not any threat to international peace and security. The change lies in the voluntary waivers by most States of their absolute sovereignty through their membership in the United Nations and other international organizations, and through their participation in other multilateral and bilateral treaties.
21 In Article 63 the Court has delegated to the President, if it is not sitting, the power, at the request of a party or proprio motu, to take the necessary steps for the examination of witnesses otherwise than before the Court itself. Although witnesses have been called in several cases before the present Court or one of its Chambers, there has been no need yet to apply that provision. Article 65 lays down that the examination of witnesses and experts shall be under the control of the President, who, together with the other judges, may himself also put questions to them.