By Noel L. Brann
Via an exam of Benedictine abbot Trithemius (1462-1516), this ebook explores the intersection of the early glossy debate over occult reviews with a few contemporaneous advancements: overdue medieval mysticism, the revival of historical letters, the Catholic and Protestant reform events, the witch hunts, and the clinical revolution.
A Benedictine residing to the brink of the Reformation interval, Trithemius excelled for many of his occupation within the fields of monastic reform, mystical theology, and Christian Humanism, after which, all of sudden, introduced himself to the area as an suggest of magic.
In some ways paralleling the lifetime of his extra recognized modern Faustus, Trithemius, against this, left to posterity a physique of theoretical paintings in aid of his magical operations. Formulated to justify his personal area of expertise, cryptography, Trimethius's occult concept is going past constructing the compatibility of magic with orthodox Christian doctrine. Its simple thrust, at the version of mystical theology, is to offer magic as a suitable car to exhibit the soul from the finite to the endless.
By J. Floyd-Thomas
Via interpreting the minister who helped encourage the founding of the Harlem Unitarian Church--Reverend Ethelred Brown, Floyd-Thomas deals a provocative exam of the non secular and highbrow roots of Black humanist concept.
By Peter Heinegg
"Abrahamic faith" has lengthy been a buzzword in ecumenical discourse. it's the inspiration that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, regardless of their profound modifications, are united of their reverence for Abraham—not simply because the progenitor of Israel, yet as a common father within the religion. Abraham's Ashes bargains a forceful critique of the biblical and Qur'anic perspectives of Abraham, displaying how on the center of all prophetic religions lies an untenable fantasy of suprarational magical wondering "revelation." This fantasy consists of communiqués to a privileged male from a mysterious patriarchal God who calls for, and when it comes to Jesus, truly gets the tribute of human sacrifice. This merciless tale proves to be an apt creation to the weird, contradictory, and oppressive myth referred to as monotheism.
By Elizabeth English
Vajrayogini is a tantric goddess from the top type of Buddhist tantras who manifests the final word improvement of knowledge and compassion. Her perform is time-honored this day between practitioners of Tibetan Buddhism. This ground-breaking e-book delves into the origins of Vajrayogini, charting her evolution in India and interpreting her roots within the Cakrasamvara tantra and in Indian culture with regards to siva.
The concentration of this paintings is the Guhyasamayasadhanamala, a set of forty-six sadhanas, or perform texts. Written on palm leaves in Sanskrit and preserved because the 12th century, this varied assortment, composed through quite a few authors, unearths a large number of different types of the goddess, every one of that is defined and illustrated the following. one of many sadhanas, the Vajravarahi Sadhana via Umapatideva, depicts Vajrayogini on the heart of a mandala of thirty-seven various goddesses, and is right here provided in complete translation along a Sanskrit version. Elizabeth English presents huge rationalization and annotation of this consultant textual content. 16 pages of beautiful colour plates not just improve the research yet convey the goddess to lifestyles.
By H. Harris
The Nigerian diaspora is now world-wide, and whilst Yoruba shuttle, they take with them their non secular organisations. As a member of the Cherubim and Seraphim church in London for over thirty years, anthropologist Hermione Harris explores a global of prayer, spirit ownership, and divination via desires and visions.
By Norman Kretzmann
The Metaphysics of Theism is the definitive learn of the normal theology of Thomas Aquinas, the best of medieval philosophers, written through one of many world's most outstanding students of medieval notion. normal theology is the research through research and rational argument of primary questions on truth, thought of on the subject of God. Professor Kretzmann indicates the ongoing worth of Aquinas's doctrines to the philosophical company this present day; he argues that average theology deals the one direction wherein philosophers can, as philosophers, method theological propositions, and that the single awarded during this ebook is the simplest on hand traditional theology.
By Christopher Buck
- CIVIL MYTHS OF the United States AND CIVIL RELIGION
- RELIGIOUS MYTHS AND VISIONS OF AMERICA
- RACIAL MYTHS AND VISIONS OF AMERICA
- TURTLE ISLAND delusion AND fantasy OF mom EARTH
- DEGANAWIDAH LEGEND
- IROQUOIS impact THESIS: delusion OR HISTORY?
- PURITAN fable OF AMERICA
- MANIFEST future MYTH
- CURSE OF HAM MYTH
- AFRICAN AMERICAN EXODUS COUNTER-MYTH
- PAPAL compliment OF AMERICA
- AMERICANIST delusion OF AMERICA
- PAPAL RESPONSES TO AMERICANIST fable OF AMERICA
- CAN AMERICANIST fable OF the United States develop into A REALITY?
- JEWISH VISIONS OF the United States AS A replicate OF JEWISH IDEOLOGIES
- JEWISH delusion OF the US AS PROMISED LAND
- JEWISH fantasy OF COLUMBUS
- JEWISH PRAYERS FOR the US: COMMUNAL VISIONS OF AMERICA
- ORTHODOX JUDAISM'S conventional PRAYER FOR GOVERNMENT
- CONSERVATIVE JUDAISM'S imaginative and prescient OF AMERICA
- REFORM JUDAISM'S imaginative and prescient OF AMERICA
- RECONSTRUCTIONIST JUDAISM'S imaginative and prescient OF AMERICA
- JEWISH AMERICANISM: CULT OF SYNTHESIS
- GARDEN OF EDEN MYTH
- LOST TRIBES fable COLUMBUS MYTH
- CONSTITUTION MYTH
- FOUNDING FATHERS MYTH
- THEODEMOCRACY MYTH
- AMERICA AS ZION MYTH
- MARK OF CAIN MYTH
- TWO-SEED MYTH
- MUD RACES MYTH
- LOST TRIBES MYTH
- WHITE native land MYTH
- RACIAL HOLY warfare MYTH
- YACUB MYTH
- MOTHER aircraft MYTH
- DESTRUCTION OF the United States MYTH
- GREAT devil MYTH
- AXIS OF EVIL COUNTER-MYTH
- EFFORTS TO DISPEL nice devil fantasy AND to lessen FALLOUT FROM AXIS OF EVIL MYTH
- SOKA GAKKAI'S delusion OF AMERICA'S moment RENAISSANCE
- ROBERT THURMAN'S delusion OF AMERICA'S moment RENAISSANCE
- DALAI LAMA'S BUDDHIST DEMOCRACY delusion AND imaginative and prescient OF AMERICA'S global ROLE
- BRIEF advent TO THE BAHA'I FAITH
- BAHA'I MYTHS AS A "SACRED heritage" OF AMERICA
- BAHA'I EMANCIPATION/CIVIL battle MYTH
- BAHA'I WILSONIAN MYTH
- BAHA'I imaginative and prescient OF future OF AMERICA
- RELIGIOUS MYTHS AND VISIONS OF the United States RECAPITULATED
- OVERVIEW OF AMERICA'S international ROLE
- FINAL REFLECTIONS: an international CIVIL RELIGION?
By Carlos Castaneda
Input THE SORCERESS!Back from the abyss, Castaneda come upon his maximum try at the trip in the direction of impeccability and freedom: to outwit and overpower the sorcery of Doña Soledad, herself remodeled from a defeated and meaningless existence to a warrior, a hunter and a "stalker of power."Now the strive against will start. Now the adventure will proceed. until eventually the final hazard is faced...the ultimate paradox embraced.